Monday, March 9, 2009

Need/Want

Been thinking about Frank’s story about his son Niko, and his never wanting or needing.

Makes me think of my own growing up, and never asking for anything. Pleased to be able to have hand-me-downs from my much older brothers. Is it perhaps that I appreciated having the connection to them with things they’d worn? That I was indecisive about what I might want, so it was easier to just have something just show up? Don’t know. Is it perhaps the influence of my mom, a naturalist/environmental studies teacher – and the fact that we were recycling everything from my earliest memories? (Not that I remember recycling then – just that I don’t remember ever not doing so…) Really can’t say. But I appreciated the story, and it makes me think. - Nick 

No comments:

Post a Comment